We were delighted to join in what is to be a year long celebration of events to commemorate the 150th Anniversary of the opening of the Duncan Institute. We joined Cupar Library, Cupar Heritage Centre and Museum, Fife Folk Museum, Fife Archive and St Andrews Special Collections (Cupar Burgh Records). The building was made possible thanks to Miss Elizabeth Duncan who left £5,000 for the building of a ‘Mechanics Institute’ to serve the working men in the parishes of Cupar, Dairsie and Kilconquhar. Miss Duncan who was born in 1782 was the daughter of Alexander Duncan a shoemaker from Kilconquhar in Fife. A shrewd business woman who never married, left a large estate and provided the funds for the building that would later become the home to Cupar Library and is now also home to Fife Family History Society. Please follow us and Cupar Library on Facebook to learn more about the plans for the coming year, including a Magic Lantern Show featuring photographs by the late George Normand from Cupar. From left, Alison Murray, Chairman of Fife FHS, Roddy Greig, Treasurer of Fife FHS, Andrea McMillan, Local Studies Officer, Cupar Library and Susan Allan, Cupar Library Supervisor.